Monday 9 June 2014

34°

It is HAWT, HAWT, HAWT!!!  Best thing to do when it is this hot in a city is to spend the whole day close to water, and keep those thirsty plants watered.  That's exactly what I have been doing.  Dunking myself into a lake and then going home to water my plants in the evening.  Although they get thirsty, they seem to enjoy the sun and are really shooting up into the air.

-  Here are some shots of my corn.  It really has grown a lot in a short amount of time!
Photo taken on the 25th of May, 2014.

 Photo taken on the 8th of June, 2014.

-  My cherry tomato plant now has teeny tiny tomatoes growing from the flowers!  LOOOOK!!!

-  Today I've been finding loads of little black balls everywhere.  They are tiny.  I thought they were some sort of terrible aphid egg that were lying around getting ready to release those terrible bastards upon my plants.  But these little black balls are SEEDS!  Yes, yes, my miner's lettuce is seeding.  I am saving as many of them as I can find.  They are super small.
Black seed in the middle of the leaf.  Get out your magnifying glass!

-  This weekend was Karneval der Kulturen here in Berlin.  And although it is not plant based I definitely want to share a picture I took today whilst wandering around.  A stilt troupe.  This lady was a crane or a stork.  She was sprinkling confetti.  And I love confetti.  One of the other stilt people sat on my shoulder and had a rest.

To finish off, I gotta say that this week hasn't just been brimming with success.  I had to get rid of my monster cucumber plant yesterday.  The reason being...APHIDS.  I know I could have treated the plant in loads of different ways to get rid of the little critters, but I didn't want to risk having an infested plant indoors so close to all my other plants.  I'm ok with having to let go of my one thriving cucumber but I wouldn't be ready to get rid of all my plants because of the mean green eating machines.  I really would love to know how the aphids got here.  I assume it was through one of the plants I was given from a friend's garden.  I have learned my lesson now.

With that I say goodbye and thanks for reading.  I hope you all enjoy the real beginning of the summer sun wherever you are!
..love..

No comments:

Post a Comment