Monday 30 June 2014

Cracking sunset and flowering corn.

Good evening folks!  The weeks keep zooming by.  I can feel the summer holidays approaching and the air is starting to buzz.  Hopefully the summer will fully hit us here in Berlin soon.  Everyone is waiting for it!  Despite the grey sky and the rain there have been some lovely clear skied adventures nonetheless!  You must forgive me if this post seems a little bit distracted, but I am writing whist simultaneously watching Germany play against Algeria in the World Cup.  I am not usually a big football watcher, but occasionally (especially during the World Cup, even though I know what a terrible company FIFA apparently is) I do enjoy it.  Let's begin with some of the happenings at the beginning of last week.

-  Last Monday evening we cycled to the Tempelhofer Feld.  My oh my it was a very beautiful evening with a wonderful sunset!
Cycling with our shadows!

 This is the community garden on the Tempelhofer Feld called Allmende Kontor.  That evening there were people sitting in all the nooks and crannies built in the garden.  Many times I was ogling a nice flower and then noticed a couple of faces sitting drinking beer just hidden behind.  It is a really great place to go for an evening beer and to watch the sunset.  Can you guys see the sunflowers in this photo or are the amazing rays of sunlight blinding you!?

-  I visited another community garden similar to the Prinzessinengarten on Moritzplatz.  This garden is called Himmelbeet and it is in Wedding right by the U-Bahn station Leopoldplatz.  It is a sweet little garden!  They even have beds that people can rent for a season.  As we were approaching the garden we heard faint sounds of a jazz band playing some tunes.  And we got closer to realise we had caught the end of the Himmelbeet Sommer Fest!  So we sat and enjoyed some nice music and then had a look around.  I was super impressed by all their kohl rabis and mangold!

-  Ok, so the last thing I want to show you guys is the flower that one of my corn plants has developed!  What does this mean?  Is this going to become a ear of corn!?  I am so excited!  People have told me it is not possible to grow corn successfully indoors without sufficient grow lights and whatnot.  I really hope that I can prove them wrong.  I am super excited, but also needing to contain my excitement in case it doesn't work out so that I'm not too disappointed.

I gotta dash guys and girls.  People are starting to throw firecrackers in the streets (football game related even though it's half time) and every time one goes BANG I jump out of my skin.  So I hope you all have a great week and thanks for reading.
..love..

No comments:

Post a Comment